lük Breakfast Beauty Bar
BEAUTY BOOST:So many skin loving goodies packed into one delicious bar. Wholegrains contain B vitamins that are required for every aspect of metabolism in your skin, without them your complexion will have a dull appearance as the skin cells can't regenerate quickly. The seeds and nuts contain skin vital essential fatty acids (esp. harder-to-get omega 3) and key beauty mineral antioxidants (zinc, magnesium, calcium & selenium) and vitamin E. Shredded coconut and coconut oil provide a super skin moisturising boost and anti microbial benefits.
YOU'LL NEED.....Organic if you can: 1/2 cup oats - quick 1/4 cup flaxseeds 1/4 cup chia seeds 1/4 cup sesame seeds 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds 1/4 cup sunflower seeds 1/4 cup poppy seeds 1/2 cup shredded coconut 1/4 cup coconut - fine 1/2 cup ground nuts (eg almond, walnuts or brazil nuts) or a flour eg organic spelt flour 1/3 sugar (panela or rapadura - evaporated unrefined cane juice) 1/2 tspn baking soda 1/2 tspn salt flakes (crushed Maldon or Murray River) zest of 1/2 lemon 1 tspn cinnamon 8-10 medjool dates - chopped (optional) 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional) 1 egg 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Add dry ingredients to bowl. Mix well - use a big balloon whisk. Ensure dates are separated and coated in the dry mix.
- Add whisked egg and (melted) oil. Stir / cut through with a knife for several minutes til well combined - every bits and piece will be well coated and it almost clumps together in your hand. This step is important.
- Line 'lamington tin' ( 9" x 13'') with unbleached baking paper and empty in mix.
- Spread mix evenly and firmly press down and into the tin. The surface will be smooth and firm. I use a flat pastry scraper to flatten out and compress the mix.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes on 170C or until surface is golden brown. Check cooking half way thru and turn tray if necessary - ie you may have hot spots in your oven.
- Cool slightly, cut the slice into bar size portions. Note it will seem a bit 'crumbly but just press/poke back into shape - it will firm up on cooling. Leave in tin to cool.
- Once cool go over the cuts to ensure they are clean so you have individual pieces.
- Store in an airtight tub upto a 3 weeks.
TIPS + TRICKS
- If you don't have all the ingredients, don't despair - mix and match. Eg Swap the oil or seeds or nuts
- For school lunch boxes - omit the nuts :(
- Pre-wrap the bars in unbleached baking paper and pop on a sticker so the family can 'grab and go' - it makes them extra special.