Chia Seed Pudding | the ultimate guilt-free, low sugar, raw dessert
Serves 1 | 15 mins go-to-wo
There is no guilt in eating a (chia seed) pudding, right? This nutritious and body-delicious recipe is so quick, easy and fail proof to make!BEAUTY BOOST Chia seeds are one of nature’s superfoods and these little seeds have more than enough goodness packed inside them - 30% omega 3 + 23% protein - mind you they are incredibly light so you need to eat heaps. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are ideal for your brain and body - they help to reduce inflammation, fight against wrinkles by keeping skin cells hydrated (form a membrane) and can radically alleviate symptoms related to skin disorders like acne and psoriasis. Chia seeds also contain high amounts of calcium and phosphorus, both of which help to maintain bone and oral health. And, we love the high protein content to help build, grow, repair and rejuvenate the cells in skin, hair and nails. Antioxidants are in abundance in the almond milk and raw cacao. The vitamin E in particular helps protect cells from free radical damage by protecting collagen and elastin structures. They also keep skin fats healthy which keeps skin moisturised and promotes a soft and glowing complexion. And even dates, the natural candy fruit, are just so nutritious being packed full of fibre to aid your digestion and absorption of all these fantastic vitamins and minerals. YOU'LL NEED (Multiply this recipe by number people you need to serve) 1 cup almond milk (store bought or homemade) 2-3 pitted dates (depending on how sweet you like it - dates are >60% sugar) 2-3 tablespoons raw cacao powder (depending on how chocolatey you like it!) note: I personally love the brand Loving Earth – you can find this in most health food stores 3 tblspn chia seeds Spices eg ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract or pinch of cinnamon or chai spices TO MAKE
- Place the almond milk, dates, vanilla and cacao in blender until completely smooth.
- Pour chia seeds into medium bowl and add almond milk mixture. Stir immediately.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes with intermittent stirring until it thickens.... and the Chia seeds remain in suspension.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour. Add tasty toppings like cacao nibs, berries, shredded coconut, or chopped nuts.
- Experiment with the taste and texture of the puddings! Vary the ratios of the dates, spices and cacao in the almond milk mixture and try an array of different and delicious toppings.
- All you need to remember is 1 cup liquid = 3 tablespoons of Chia seeds and you can make anything! Eg for a vanilla pudding, omit the cocoa and dates and add 1-2 teaspoons of maple syrup and vanilla bean.