[RECIPE] Makes 25 (5cm) cookies | 30 mins wo-to-go (Prep 10 mins. Baking 15-20mins)
Quick & easy healthy recipe can be whipped up for kids lunch boxes & healthy snacks to go with a cuppa.
YOU’LL LOVE IT BECAUSE….
- Flours – A mix of organic spelt & gluten free wholemeal buckwheat – gives it shortness (a delicate bite) & nutty flavour and tho spelt contains gluten it is eaten by many on wheat free diets.
- Nutrient dense – wholemeal flours, oats, un-refined sugar, cranberries & bananas
- Oats: regulate your appetite so you feel fuller for long and as well as help lower cholesterol.
- Fruit – banana rich in potassium, critical for the daily functioning of your body & cranberries rich in the anthocyanin antioxidants to help increase blood sugar metabolism. Creates & retains moisture and chewiness in the cookie.
- Panela Sugar – un-refined whole can sugar
- Melted butter – for taste & it makes it easy to use but you can use coconut oil or if nuts are permitted an almond or macadamia nut oil.
- NO nuts – so it works at school in lunch boxes
- One bowl wonder to save on washup.
- Energy content: Because there are no nuts (which have nearly dble the energy per gram of protein & carbs) & the serve size is small the KJ / Calorie content is fine for active kids.
1 Cup Wholemeal Spelt flour (organic)
3/4 cup Wholemeal Buckwheat Flour (organic)
1/2 cup organic Panela sugar (or brown)
1/3 cup oats (‘quick’ thin style or an oatmeal)
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries or organic sultanas (gives 2-3 per cookie)
1 mashed ripe banana
100g butter – melted or coconut oil
Extra oats for topping
Turn oven onto 180C. Line tray with baking paper.
Into a large bowl add the first 5 ingredients. Mix together well – I use a whisk to evenly distribute them.
Stir thru cranberries until well coated with flour mix and evenly distributed.
Add melted butter, banana and mix in until dry mix comes together. It will be quite wet/sticky but that is fine.
Use a spoon to make mounds of mix, roll in your hands then oats. Push down for flatter cookies as they won’t spread on baking.
Place on tray. Bake 15-20mins top half of oven til golden brown. Cool on tray.
TIPS & TRICKS
– these are a softer, chewy style cookie.
– swap: use this as a base recipe and sub in ingredients depending on what you have on hand. Get use to adjusting levels – so if you have no banana, keep half a cup of flour out of the recipe.
– keep in an air tight jar or they will dry out.
– ideal for school lunch boxes because it’s a NUT free recipe