[RECIPE] Makes 900ml | 3 serves 5 mins Wo-to-Go.
For a Healthy Glow & Get UP & Go
In Summer when with the warm weather we’re naturally outside and active more.
Our home juicing menu has taken a turn from our staple red juice (beet, carrot, apple, ginger celery) to green juice to invigorate our body for ‘get up & go and a healthy glow.’
The ingredients used to make a green smoothie are all light, and non starchy which makes them easy to digest giving you an instant dose of beautifying food. And because there is no waste in making a smoothie you are getting a massive does of active beauty nutrients to feed your beauty including fibre to keep your digestive system moving quickly to remove toxins and increase nutrient absorption. There is no other way to get such a vast serve of fruit & vegetables that are quick to eat and keep you full for longer.
Making a green smoothie can be fun because there is such a fast array of green fruit and vegetables available to use.
- Start with green leaves (kale, spinach, lettuce,) | think Vitamin A for complexion + chlorophyll
- Add beauty minerals rich vegetables (celery, cucumber, [avocad0], fennel)
- Add a ‘sweetner’ (pear or green apple -pineapple is gorgeous) for flavour, fibre + antioxidants,
- Pop in some Citrus for vitamin C – we love it for collagen production and alkalising the body
- Toss in ‘active flavours’ for depth & fragrance – ginger, mint, parsley, fresh turmeric
- Liquify with water, ice, coconut water (for a sweeter, more fragrant style), green tea (antioxidants) or almond milk (to increase skin moisturising essential fatty acids and protein).
- You can always add ‘boosters’ such as flax seed oil, probiotics (the simplest is natural yoghurt), protein (an egg is great) or seeds such as pumpkin (zinc) or Chia (omega 3)
The green pigment in plants – Chlorophyll – is an all round superfood. It helps neutralise acids in your body, seriously stimulates your digestion(!), boosts oxygen levels in your blood allowing your cells to receive more nutrients & energises your body. It helps to extract nasty toxins from your liver, essentially improving liver function + detoxes and cleanses your blood which promotes radiant skin. It also reduces the signs of ageing as its antioxidant properties help neutralise free radicals. It’s super-rich in enzymes which promote cell rejuvenation. And lastly, it is alkalising and anti-inflammatory effect on your body alleviates skin disorders such as eczema, dryness, puffiness and redness. What are you waiting for?
Avocados for essential fatty acids and Vitamin E to keep skin soft and smooth. Kale is an excellent source of calcium, vitamins AC & K – keeping your skin tight and toned. Celery & cucumber contain silica – a food active nutrient that acts as an internal moisturiser. Other beauty minerals include calcium, iron, manganese and potassium. Potassium & iron help transport O2 round the body to renew and revitalise your skin.
avocado – 1/2
kale – 3 leaves inc. stem
english spinach – 1 ‘root ‘with 6-8 leaves & stems
cucumber – 1/2 chopped in 4
celery – 1 stick inc. leaves
parsley – 3 stems
mint – 2- 3 stalks with leaves
pears – 2 chopped inc seeds (no stem) or green apples
lemon – 1/2 with no rind + 1/4 strip rind
ginger – 1-2 thin slices
water – 1.5 cups (or coconut water or green tea + dash apple juice if you are inclined)
ice – 1 cup (needed for texture + flavour enhancement)
– the ice gives the smoothie a fabulous melt-in-your-mouth texture + keep the smoothie chilled as high powered blenders add so much energy when mixing it can warm up the smoothie!
– need to know more about juicing & making smoothies? Read more…
– or try my avocado & banana recipe