Put a delicious, exotic spin on your morning eggs with this shakshuka baked eggs recipe. Super easy to make, enjoy this recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Shakshuka baked eggs are great for trying different styles and flavours. Mix it up by adding in some different herbs or spices, or a touch more cayenne pepper for extra kick. You can even use it as a way to clear out the crisper before the Sunday groceries by adding different vegetables into the mix!
are a great source of protein, containing essential amino acids to build and repair tissue, meaning they keep skin both firm and smooth and your muscles in top form. They also contain choline which maintains plump cell membranes and lutein which helps to ensure skin elasticity, together they make eggs the perfect skin superfood.
But it's the herbs and spices that really make this dish. Parsley
is fabulous for cleansing your body while vitamin A and vitamin K work to brighten the eyes and rejuvenate skin. Paprika
contains vitamin B6 aiding healthy and lush hair.
SHAKSHUKA BAKED EGGS RECIPE
30 minutes wo to go. Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
6 tomatoes, diced
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1 capsicum, diced
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 large eggs
1/4 fresh parsley
pinch of salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a skillet or fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and stir for 5 minutes, add garlic and stir regularly for a further minute.
2. Add the capsicum and mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring regularly for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for a further 3 minutes.
3. Begin to squash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Add paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper and stir. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Crack the eggs on top of the tomato mixture and cover the pan (foil will do the trick if no cover is available). Simmer the mixture for desired time. 4 minutes for runny yolks, 6 to 7 minutes for soft yolks and 10 minutes for hard yolks.
5. Garnish with parsley and some salt and pepper and serve warm.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Serve with some warm crusty bread for dipping in the tomato sauce.
- Try adding a touch more cayenne pepper to spice up this shakshuka baked eggs recipe. You can add some cumin in place of oregano, or even top with coriander. You could even add in some mince or lentils for a lunch time or dinner meal.
Serve with some warm crusty bread to scrape up the last bits of tomato sauce!