Looking for a gluten free, antioxidant and protein packed breakfast that's easy to make, this quinoa breakfast bowl with fruit is perfect.I love changing what I eat for breakfast most mornings and making a non-wheat, non dairy, plant protein rich breakfast bowl is high on the must have list. If you have a rice cooker that is even better as you can turn it on and walk away to get showered and dressed! Short on time for cooking fruit for your quinoa breakfast bowl, toss in some chopped dates as the quinoa cooks and serve with fresh fruit. For a longer, lingering weekend brunch you can add a DIY granola by Lee Holmes - recipe on our blog / She's Delicious interview!
BEAUTY BENEFITSProtein for breakfast is a necessity but it can be difficult to find quick to prepare foods which contain it. Providing you with a complete protein source and packed full of goodies, this breakfast recipe is much needed starter to the day ahead, keeping your complexion glowing. A morning boost of antioxidants from goji berries will keep your skin smooth and toned while also working to ease inflammation. Restoring moisture lost over night, essential fatty acids found in nut milk help to nourish your skin. An added benefit for morning exercise sessions, the beta carotene in the goji berries works to protect your body from the suns UV rays while iron provides oxygen to your cells maintaining a bright appearance. The quinoa's high fibre content aids absorption of all these essential nutrients while also helping to cleanse your body, giving you a fresh start to the morning. You can make your very own omega rich, anti-inflammatory walnut milk (recipe and info here) to create a delicious lactose free quinoa breakfast bowl.
QUINOA BREAKFAST BOWL RECIPEserves 1 (generously)
1/2 cup quinoa (blonde)
1 cup walnut milk (or nut or dairy milk)
Stewed Summer fruits with Goji Berries: eg 1 ripe pear, 1 tblspn dried goji berries, 1/2 stick cinnamon, 1 cup water.
- Cook pear - quarter and core a ripe pear, add a the goji berries, cinnamon stick and water to a small saucepan.Simmer gently 10-15 mins until pears are soft and water has reduced into a light syrup.
- Cook Quinoa - Add quinoa and 3/4 of the walnut milk to rice cooker and set to cook. When cooked, stir in remaining walnut milk slowly to create the desired consistency. ie grainy or creamy (you can add a little water too)
- Serve quinoa warm with poached pears and goji berries on top, drizzled with the syrup from the pears.
- If creating this quinoa breakfast bowl without the addition of fruit, an extra date (diced) can be added when cooking to sweeten.
- If you don't have 15 minutes then make porridge with quinoa flakes - note that the flavour is a little bitter and will definitely need chopped dates and lots of spice!
- The quinoa can be gently cooked on a stove top with a lid. May need an extra 1/4-1/2 cup of water.
- If you don't have a pear, replace with any ripe stone fruit or apple to add to your quinoa breakfast bowl.