How To Keep Your Cool These Summer Holidays
So, it’s hot. Really hot. With this sort of weather edging towards the 40’s and into week 5 of the school holidays, it’s hard to find the energy to have fun, and truly relax. Tensions and arguments seem to arise more often, because the kids are cooped up all day, it’s hot, and you really don’t feel like doing anything in this heat. We've come up with a few tips and tricks to make the most of this weather, helping you keep your cool this summer! Most importantly - if you have not already done it.....shut all your windows & doors, close the blinds and keep your house cool.
- Have some †˜me’ time. Find a quiet place in your house, and make it your own sanctuary. Read a book, meditate, relax, do some yoga, have a scented bath, watch the tennis (Australian Open) – at least 30 minutes out of every day to pamper yourself. You’ll feel much more calmer and relaxed, ready to face whatever the day brings.
- Water, water, water! Drink plenty of water (and coconut water, as an alternative) to keep you and your family hydrated this summer. Chill your drinks – they’ll help lower your body temperature!
- Freeze some fruit (berries, bananas, grapes, anything!) in the freezer for a refreshing snack this summer. Eat them like that, or try blending them together in a processor for a fruit-flavoured slushie your kids will love. You can also use fruit juice to make healthy popsicles for your kiddies! Quick, and so easy to make!
- Let your kids choose the activities for the day, as long it is within reason! They’ll love the responsibility, and by letting them do an activity they like, it’ll drive you less crazy. Total win-win scenario. Day activities could include: going to the movies (super cool a/c, having a mid morning picnic at the local park (run off their energy) and going to the beach/pools.
- If it’s too hot to go to the beach, have fun with the kids at home – get out the 'slip n'slide', water pistols or anything that is wet if you don't have a pool. Inside, make pillow forts with furniture, sheets and blankets and let their imagination run wild, while you relax! (hopefully in the air conditioning you have turned on just this once...!)
- And last, but not least, BREATHE. When times are tough, and you feel like everyone is driving you crazy, step back, take a deep breath, and try to re-approach the situation. Sometimes, all we need is a moment to ourselves to get back to normal functioning and control.