Clean eating is the foundation of natural beauty.
There are countless reasons to eat clean. A healthy diet will give you easy glow-and-go skin, eliminate toxins and keep you trim and toned without the need for a strict menu plan. When you eat organic wholefoods you benefit from their intrinsic goodness while doing your bit for the environment.
Eating clean eliminates substances that can 'dirty’ our beautiful bodies and affect how they work. Chemicals from processed foods build up in our tissues and organs, causing red inflammation, sagging and puffy skin, as well as premature ageing (when nasty free radicals attack skin cells).
A poor diet can cause high blood pressure, liver inflammation, auto-immune disease, weight gain and mood swings, while a great diet will nourish your body with nutritious, wholesome foods that make you feel good. Think vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, healthy fats (like fish and avocado), grass-fed meats and complex carbs like grains. Filter your water, make your own juices and try the 10 tricks to eating clean below.
How to eat clean: 10 principles of healthy food
- Don’t eat processed food containing preservatives, refined sugars, artificial sweeteners, colours, flavours, modifiers, enhancers or trans fats.
- Eat more veggies than meat.
- Eat more raw than cooked.
- Eat organic when possible.
- Incorporate probiotic foods into your everyday diet.
- Eat nuts, seeds and non-wheat grains (prepared properly).
- Reduce dairy intake and experiment with nut milks.
- Reduce your caffeine intake to a maximum of 2 caffeinated drinks per day.
- Limit alcohol to the weekend or special occasions.
- Sip water with a squeeze of lemon or lime.
And finally, do NOT stress over what you can and can’t eat - that is just as bad for you as having an extra glass of wine or handful of chips! Do what you can and take each day one step at a time. We're all on this journey together.
Image by Brooke Lark