Healthy, delicious, gluten free and vegan friendly, this divine raw blood orange 'cheesecake' made with cashew nuts will be an all round crowd pleaser at any event!
Not only visually stunning and delicious, this raw 'cheesecake' made without cheese! is simple to make. Cashews, coconut oil and coconut milk are used in place of cheese to create a creamy smooth and skin-loving filling. Keep some in the freezer for when friends show up without notice, you will never have to worry again!
are rich in healthy fats similar to those in olive oil which help to keep your skin soft and smooth. They also contain selenium which keeps your scalp nourished, encouraging healthy hair growth for long lush locks. Vitamin E also aids your hair by providing antioxidant protection. This prevents your hair cells from damage by free radicals which in turn maintains a gorgeous, natural shine.
are high in anthocyanins, which is also found in blueberries. Anthocyanins are powerful antioxidants which protect both your inside and outside from free radical damage. Along with vitamin C, blood oranges work to prevent signs of premature ageing such as sagging and wrinkles, helping you to look and feel younger! They also contain folic acid which enables our body to create healthy red blood cells helping to create a natural glow and enable correct brain functioning.
BLOOD ORANGE RAW CHEESECAKE RECIPE
30 minutes plus freezing time
For the Base:
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup almonds
9 dates (just under a cup)
For the Cake
1 1/2 cup cashews
(soaked for a min of 4 hours beforehand)
Juice of 3 blood oranges
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup lemon
1. Process dates and nuts in a food processor or blender until a sticky mixture forms. Spread the mixture onto the bottom of a cake pan (using either the bottom of a spoon or your hands) and place in the fridge.
2. Blend all ingredients for the cake together on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy - make sure there are no lumps.
3. Pour the creamy cake mixture onto the base layer and place in the freezer for around 3 hours or until frozen. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and place in the fridge for ten minutes before serving. Top with some pistachios, blood orange slices or even make your own blood orange glaze.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- To make the glaze: Blend 1 date, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil and the juice of 1 blood orange
- Throw on some pistachios and a few blood orange slices moment before service (or it will run) for a gorgeous finish to you raw cheesecake recipe!
Raw cashew cheesecake with a blood orange glaze