The Antioxidant Plum Cake
Image | SourceThe traditional German recipe uses castor sugar. To reduce your body’s response to an insulin spike from the glucose I have substituted coconut sugar which has a GI of 35 compared to 68 in refined sugar and have replacing half the wheat flour with ground almonds rich in essential fatty acids and fibre. An insulin spike is like a burst of inflammation throughout your body. Inflammation produces enzymes that break down collagen and elastin, resulting in sagging skin and wrinkles. Sugar is also known to go through the glycation process in your body where toxic compounds called Advanced Glycation End Products (AGE’s) are produced. These too can cause wrinkles, dehydrated skin, dark circles under your eyes and accelerate the ageing process. YOU’LL NEED…..
- 10-12 large Queen Garnet Plums, cut in half and stone removed
- 125g soft butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tspn baking powder
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 2 tblspn coconut sugar
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- Cream butter with sugar til soft and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time with a tspn of flour, beat well after each addition.
- Add almond meal, flour and baking powder. Fold in til well combined.
- Spread over base of tin evenly.
- Arrange cut plums on surface of batter with cut side up.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the top of cake.
- Bake for 45minutes. Check by making sure a skewer comes out clean when tested.