1. START WITH A CLEAN SWEEPStep one. Sadly but necessary, you won't be able to see what you're working with until you've completely removed everything from your pantry. Clear out all your shelves of your pantry and get everything out on the counter where you can see it and deal with it. You don’t have to throw out everything that does not fit the beautifood mantra yet but it’s best to know what not to buy again and what needs to be swapped with a better choice when you shopping next time. By emptying your pantry, you may uncover a few hidden gems that you'd completely forgotten!
2. SORT AND PURGEStep Two is to spend some time going through everything to see if it loosely fits within the †˜shopping list’ and to see what you've been squirrelling away. Mark the poorer choices with a black texta cross. Eg canola oil, or muesli bars, because I have a thrifty side – keep these til they are used up but don’t buy again. Items you should also toss include:
- Dented cans
- Bags and boxes with rips or tears
- Spices older than one year
- Items that are expired
- Anything with an infestation (moths, weevils or ants!)