Nurture and nourish yourself this Winter with our traditional chai tea. Filled with skin loving herbs and spices, it’s the perfect guilt-free treat to warm and soothe your body.
Originating from South Asia and also known as masala chai (mixed-spice tea), chai tea is a creation of different herbs and spices in different ratios to create a personalised treat that is one of the most enriching and anti-inflammatory teas you can drink. I found whilst savouring my chai [and quiet moment to myself], I was warmed from the inside out and could almost feel myself begin to glow from all those nourishing ingredients. Even the ritual of creating and brewing the chai tea recipe was a lovely way to relax and recharge. This chai tea recipe is perfect for the cooler months to help you look and feel beautiful. We’ve also got you covered from the outside in with our Chai Shimmer Lip Nourish, try it today to protect your lips this winter!
BEAUTY FOOD BENEFITS
This traditional chai tea recipe is full of nourishing goodies to nurture you from the inside out. The combination of herbs and spices work together to provide a natural and healthy pick me up through the presence of threobromine. They also provide powerful antioxidants for your body to fight free radicals that cause wrinkles, while its anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce redness and puffiness. Not only helping your complexion, the ginger in chai also boosts your immune system to help fight against colds, aids digestion, relieves headaches and inflammation and even improves the absorption and stimulation of essential nutrients in the body.
TRADITIONAL CHAI TEA RECIPE
15 minutes go to whoa. Makes 1 cup.
2 whole black peppercorns
3 cardamon pods
3 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
Just over 1cm of fresh ginger
1 whole nutmeg
1 tbspn black tea
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk of choice [we recommend cold pressed almond milk]
Optional: 1 tbspn of honey
1. To prepare the spice, gently smash cardamon with the side of a knife, peel and thinly slice the ginger, then combine all spices in a saucepan.
2. Add water and milk to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure the milk is not burning.
3. Add the black tea to the saucepan, continuing to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. Strain the chai tea mixture using a fine strainer, into a gorgeous mug and enjoy while warm!
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Use this chai tea recipe as a base, don’t be afraid to try different ratios of the ingredients to find your perfect style!
- In this chai tea recipe, you can choose to only add the water to the saucepan. You can then heat the milk separately and add to your mug. Note, simmer time will be reduced if choosing to do this.
- These spices may be ground together and kept in an air tight container to store until you next use this chai tea recipe!
Featured images from Yummy Supper and Pinterest