[Recipe] Makes 1 cake | 45 mins from go to woe
This is a delicious autumn seasonal plum cake you can make for only a few months of the year. The deep, rich Queen Garnet plum has around 3-6 times the anthocyanin antioxidant content of blueberries, helping to fight free radicals minimising fine lines and wrinkles. And, with a high proportion of plums to †˜batter’ it almost reaches †˜guilt free’ treat status!
The traditional German recipe uses castor sugar. To reduce your body’s response to an insulin spike from the glucose I have substituted coconut sugar which has a GI of 35 compared to 68 in refined sugar and have replacing half the wheat flour with ground almonds rich in essential fatty acids and fibre. An insulin spike is like a burst of inflammation throughout your body.
Inflammation produces enzymes that break down collagen and elastin, resulting in sagging skin and wrinkles. Sugar is also known to go through the glycation process in your body where toxic compounds called Advanced Glycation End Products (AGE’s) are produced. These too can cause wrinkles, dehydrated skin, dark circles under your eyes and accelerate the ageing process.
- 10-12 large Queen Garnet Plums, cut in half and stone removed
- 125g soft butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tspn baking powder
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 2 tblspn coconut sugar
- 1 tspn cinnamon
Turn oven on 180C. Line the base of 26cm round spring form or lamington tin with baking paper.
- Cream butter with sugar til soft and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time with a tspn of flour, beat well after each addition.
- Add almond meal, flour and baking powder. Fold in til well combined.
- Spread over base of tin evenly.
- Arrange cut plums on surface of batter with cut side up.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the top of cake.
- Bake for 45minutes. Check by making sure a skewer comes out clean when tested.
TIPS & TRICKS
– Best eaten the next day when the juices have softened the plums and the healthy fats in the almonds have released and moisturised the cake crumb.
Now it’s time to have your antioxidant cake and eat it too!