They are delicious, super nutritious, and keep you full for hours! Yep, a yummy superfood breakfast is like a hug for your organs and helps you be delicious from the inside out (our brand motto!). There are just so many health benefits packed into each bowl and if you do it right, you’ve pretty much nailed the perfect start to your day.
Here are a few reasons why you should snack on a healthy breakfast in the morning:
1. It gives you plenty of sustained energy: The right nutritious ingredients can help boost and maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
2. It’s a great memory booster: Eating a healthy brekky has been proven to help with concentration levels and short-term memory, which can maximise your performance levels at work or in your personal tasks.
3. It kickstarts your metabolism: Loading up on a balance of macro nutrients is great at jumpstarting your metabolism and curbing cravings throughout the day which is good for weight management.
4. It starts the day on a positive note: Making the choice to fuel your body by eating healthy first thing in the morning makes you much more aware of what you’re eating throughout the rest of the day and you are more likely to make good food choices that align with this.
5. It’s a nourishing self-care practice: Spending a moment to slow down and feed your body with the right food, instead of rushing out the door on an empty stomach, is a wonderful act of self-care and will make you feel so much better about yourself.
So why superfoods?
Superfoods can often be mistaken for exotic ingredients that are hard to track down not to mention oh-so-expensive. But, really, they’re easier to access and cheaper than you think. Whether you buy a bag of organic chia seeds in bulk or seasonal berries (which are known superfoods!), integrating these tasty beauty foods into your diet can be an easy feat.
Because I think all mornings should call for nourishing bowls of breakfast goodness, I’m sharing 3 yummy superfood bowl recipes from around the Interwebs ranging from sweet to savoury and warm to cold, and you might even spot a few Luk Beautifood treats as you browse on through (wink, wink). Read on natural beauties to jump start your day with a lip-smacking blend of beauty-ful ingredients!
Image Source | Everyday Simple Health
SPINACH MANGO SMOOTHIE BOWL
Ingredients (for one smoothie bowl)
– 1 banana
– 1 mango (try a Spanish mango if regular mangoes aren’t in season where you are)
– 1 hand full spinach
– 1 tsp wheatgrass powder
– 1/2 cup oat milk
1. Throw all ingredients in a high speed blender and process until creamy.
2. Top with your favorite fruits and enjoy!
What’s so good about it:
Bananas are a great source of potassium that helps to regulate muscle contraction and fluid balance. Leafy greens and superfoods are anti-inflammatory and help support immune function. Wheatgrass is considered to be an important nutrient that helps boost the insides and sustain the organs. Mangoes are a great beauty-food that assist in collagen function and achieving a healthy glow.
Image Source | Mind Body Green
Ingredeints (for one bowl)
– 1 cup (125 g) frozen blueberries
– 1 banana
– 1 teaspoon goji berries
– 1 teaspoon chia seeds
– 1 serve lean whey sugar-free protein powder
– 1/4 cup coconut water
– Acai berries, fresh or frozen
1. Combine the frozen blueberries, banana, acai berries, protein and coconut water into a high performance blender.
2. Blend until smooth and creamy – it should look like a delicious berry ice cream.
3. Pour or spoon into a bowl.
4. Garnish with your choice of fresh fruits, chia, goji, nuts and seeds.
What so good about: Blueberries contain antioxidants called polyphenols, which are anti-inflammatory to the body and can promote optimum health + vitality and promote healthy skin. Acai is another amazing source of antioxidants, fibre, heart healthy-fats, and minerals. Chia helps to pump up the omega 3 fatty acid profile and reduce high blood pressure. The coconut water is believed to lower cholesterol, improve digestion, and regulate hormones, while the chia seeds are one of the most protein rich foods we can eat! And topped off with goji berries, a superfood that packs a whopping 21 minerals in each berry and chia seeds, which are a super source of Omega 3 Fatty acids, this breakfast bowl is maximising nutrition in every bite and making you look your luminous best.
Image Source | Sarah Yates
SUPERFOOD QUINOA BREAKFAST BOWL
Ingredients (for 2 bowls)
– 1/2 cup of quinoa
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 1/2 cup coconut milk
– 2 dried medjool dates (more for added sweetness), seed removed and chopped
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1/8 teaspoon cardamon
– 2 tablespoons pepitas
– 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
– 1 tablespoon golden raisins
– Goji berries, chia seeds, banana and coconut flakes, to garnish
1. Rinse quinoa until water runs clear and combine in a medium sauce pan with water, coconut milk, and dates.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until quinoa has started to soften.
3. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, pepitas, shredded coconut and golden raisins.
4. Cook an additional five minutes, adding water if necessary, until quinoa and soft and fully cooked.
5. Serve hot and topped with banana, goji berries, chia seeds, and coconut flakes. Add maple syrup or honey to sweeten further if you’d like!
What’s so good about it: Quinoa contains lysine, a key building block in the synthesis of elastin and collagen and it also contains high levels of protein which will keep you full for longer. The fragrant spices in this breakfast bowl contain high levels of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents to keep your skin and hair looking heathy.
Feature image via @nourishingnicola
Now it’s your turn natural beauties! What are your favourite superfood breakfast recipes?