[recipe] Serves 6 | 75 mins go-to-woe
So much beauty in colour! The vibrant purple flesh of beetroot is full of antioxidants and minerals that will look after your skin both inside and out. The minerals iron, potassium and zinc detoxify by creating healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to skin cells for regeneration, repair and renewal. The antioxidants fight against inflammation which treats puffy and red complexions. Pumpkin’s bright orange colour is a sign that this veggie is loaded with beta-carotene. This plant carotenoid gets converted to vitamin A and acts as a very powerful antioxidant to neutralise free radicals thereby helping to prevent wrinkles and keep your skin moist and looking youthful. And the omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E of walnuts are another moisturising, wrinkle-fighting beauty boost to your skin.
2-3 beetroots – remove leaves, leave skin on but get rid of those rough bits at the top and bottom
2 chunks or 1/3 butternut pumpkin – chopped into cubes
2/3rd cup walnuts
1/3 – 1/2 cup olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tbspn black mustard seeds
1/2 tspn cumin seeds
salt and pepper to season
- Turn oven on 180C.
- Place beetroot and pumpkin on baking tray lined with non-toxic baking paper, drizzle with some extra olive oil, toss and place into. Roast for an hour.
- Halfway through roasting the beetroot add the garlic, walnuts, black mustard seeds and cumin seeds to the tray.
- Remove tray from oven when beetroot & pumpkin has roasted and garlic, walnuts and seeds are lightly toasted.
- Leave to cool before removing most of skin from the pumpkin.
- Add all roasted and toasted ingredients to blender or food processor and whiz until creamy.
- Add oil to mixture and blend until desired texture of dip has been reached. Season.
TIP & TRICKS
Toasting the walnuts, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and roasting the garlic by popping them into the oven while the beets are baking develops the flavour of the ingredients and infuses the beetroot with a spiced, nutty, garlicky deliciousness!
Simply serve with a colourful array of fresh veggies and a variety of crackers.