[RECIPE] Serves 4-6 | 20 mins WO-TO-GO (5 min prep, 15 min bake)
I am always looking for savoury crackers to have on hand, to accompany ‘goodies’ for a quick weekday lunch, pop in the kids lunchbox, serve with a hummus or fresh veggie puree when friends pop by or hubby & I have a moment together before dinner! (we wish!)
I either buy them, (I have a little check list of what I don’t want – refined flour, unfriendly oils (margarine, palm oil etc), colours, flavours, preservative, emulsifiers, too much salt), bake them from scratch or cheat like this non-recipe.
So, add this simple recipe to you repertoire as it ticks all the boxes: taste, nutrition, style, simplicity. If you keep on hand packets of Mountain Bread (3 mths shelf life – no preservatives) you can whip up your crackers in no time and get major ‘WOW’ points.
I packet organic thin wholemeal Mountain Bread*
Salt – Maldon, Murray River or Himalayan
1. Turn oven to 200C. Line baking trays with ‘glad bake’
3. Pop mountain bread on trays – don’t overlap.
3. In a mortar add salt and fennel seeds – grind til fine. (or a use a coffee grinder or micro whiz)
4. Brush top of each sheet with olive oil, sprinkle over salt & fennel seed mix.
5. Bake 10-15 mins til golden brown & crisp.
TIPS & TRICKS
*Mountain bread – there are lots of versions. I like the organic one that is really, really thin. See here for types.
Note – I have not been approached or have any relationship with this company.
Topping variations –
– fresh rosemary & salt
– cumin – grind seeds with salt and sprinkle over
– garlic (crush) and add to oil with some salt then brush on
– other spices paprika, coriander seed etc
– sweet version to go with poached fruit or custard – cinnamon & castor sugar
Salt – though Himalayan has a higher mineral content, I love the gentleness of Maldon salt.
Love them..as they do with most ‘crisp’ foods.