This sweet potato and pomegranate salad is full of gorgeous colours and nourishing beauty nutrients to brighten your day!
Little sparkling red jewels providing bursts of antioxdiants… you don’t need to be a master chef to make this salad look or taste good! Recipes like this sweet potato and pomegranate salad are great to keep on hand, especially when they provide the perfect mixture of nutrients to keep your skin looking its best. This sweet potato and pomegranate salad is great to bring to family get togethers, catch ups with friends and even to add to your weeknight dinners.
There are various ways to remove pomegranate arils. I suggest cutting the pomegranate in half. Gently push the centre upwards from the outside while gripping onto the side (as if you are trying to stretch it open), then hit the back of the pomegranate with a wooden spoon and voila! (well OK – you have to separate the white membrane from some of the jewels!) Once you get the knack of it you will be bashing pomegranates every second day… like we do because my 5 year daughter thinks they are the prettiest of all fruits.
So say goodbye to damaged skin and hello to a beautiful complexion because these sweet potato and pomegranate salad ingredients work together to nurture and preserve bright, soft skin!
BEAUTY FOOD BENEFITS
Sweet potato: Packed with beta carotene, sweet potatoes are fabulous for restoring and nourishing your sight. This salad isn’t just for gorgeous skin, magnesium works to relax and calm your body. This helps to ease life’s stress and with it the chance of premature ageing! Pomegranate: Ellagic acid is vital for helping your skin to repair itself while warding off wrinkles. It also acts as your very own sunscreen! Protecting your skin from damaging UV rays it prevents the formation of sun spots and fights free radicals. Potassium works with your liver to flush toxins from the body, cleansing and clarifying your skin from the inside. Olive oil: a saviour for your skin, it is full of antioxidants to fight those pesky free radicals (sun, smoke, pollution, fast food) and protect against damage. It also helps to strengthen your immune system as it contains healthy monounsaturated fats, helping you to look and feel great! Pepitas: High in zinc, they work to balance oil in your skin and fight off bacteria which may cause acne. Vitamin E works to keep your complexion glowing. It promotes regeneration of skin cells to keep your appearance refreshed. Feta: Calcium keeps teeth strong to preserve a flattering smile. Also moisturising and hydrating, this nutrient will keep your skin looking soft and smooth.
SWEET POTATO AND POMEGRANATE SALAD RECIPE
serves 4 | 45 minutes wo-to-go
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup pomegranate arils
1/2 cup pepitas (toasted in smokey paprika if you have some)
1/2 cup organic feta cheese
chopped mint & or parsley (optional)
Zest of lemon or orange (optional)
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C.
2. Place the diced sweet potatoes onto a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until sweet potatoes are coated well.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Stirring occasionally, roast for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove from oven, cool and place sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Add pomegranate arils, pepitas and feta cheese.
5. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over sweet potato and pomegranate salad and gently toss. Sprinkle with chopped herbs & citrus zest.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- This sweet potato and pomegranate salad is great as a side dish to a main meal or even by itself!
- Can be served both warm and cold, depending on circumstance and preference.
- The sweet potato and pomegranate salad goes great with chicken – while sweet potatoes are cooking, add some oil and mixed herbs to chicken breast. Fry until golden and place in the oven with sweet potatoes. They should be finished around the same time.