We couldn’t be more chuffed with the beautiful Spring sunshine at the moment and with gorgeous vegetables like asparagus and spinach in season, salads are our number one go-to dish! They help to cleanse and nourish our bodies and leave our skin feeling smooth and looking healthy.
The flowers are thriving, the cooler months are behind us and so are the dark chilly mornings – how can the days not seem brighter! We all know that the right foods can heal the body so it’s time we embrace the beautiful fresh produce that’s around at the moment and nourish our bodies from the inside out for glowing skin and bountiful energy.
We’ve gathered together a list of our top 3 lük Spring salad recipes that will revitalise your insides and tantalise your tastebuds, so you look and feel light and glowing.
Whether you’re packing for a picnic, meeting friends for a BBQ or nurturing your family with lunch on the deck, we’ve got you covered with these simple, in season and most importantly, delicious salad recipes!
Salads are full of nourishing goodies to nourish and protect your skin. They work to cleanse the body of toxins, leaving us feeling light yet satisfied to help us spring into Spring!
Greens such as spinach and rocket are high in phytonutrients. They contain antioxidants to protect against early signs of ageing such as wrinkles and sagging, as well as vitamins such as vitamin C to help maintain collagen structure and keep your skin firm!
Healthy fats from nuts and avocados will keep your skin soft and moisturised while iron, potassium and zinc from beetroot or broccoli provide oxygen to cells and ensure healthy regeneration and repair. It is this variety of nutrients in salads that work together to keep our skin glowing and our body feeling great.
1. PEACH + GOATS CHEESE SALAD
– 2 peaches, chopped, seed removed
– 1 cup rocket
– 1 cup baby spinach
– 1/3 cup goats cheese
– 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
– 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
– 1/2 red onion, chopped
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– juice of 1 lime
– 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1. In a large bowl place rocket and baby spinach. Top with peaches, chickpeas, walnuts, red onion and goats cheese and gently mix.
2. In a small bowl mix olive oil, lime juice and vinegar. Drizzle on top of salad and enjoy!
Image via @foodiecrush
2. QUINOA SPRING SALAD
– 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
– 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1 tablespoon oregano
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 1 bunch asparagus, ends removed
– 1 cup shredded red cabbage
– ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
– ½ cup goats cheese, crumbled
– 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
– salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. In a bowl, mix tomatoes with garlic, oregano and olive oil. Roast tomatoes on a lined baking tray for 20 minutes, or until light brown.
2. Meanwhile cook quinoa in a rice cooker (see below) or add quinoa and 3 cups of water to a medium saucepan, bringing to the boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until cooked.
3. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Transfer asparagus to a bowl of cold water or run under a cool tap for a further 30 seconds. Drain and roughly chop asparagus stems.
4. Drain quinoa and return to the saucepan, allowing it to sit covered for 10 minutes.
5. Fluff quinoa with a fork and place in a large bowl. Add asparagus, red cabbage and tomatoes, salt & pepper taste and stir in vinegar – drizzle with extra olive oil if needed. Top with goats cheese + basil and serve.
Image via @acouplecooks
3. MASTERCLASS SALAD
HOW TO MAKE A SALAD WITH WHAT’S IN YOUR FRIDGE!
SELECT A STYLE
Asian: baby spinach, watercress, coriander, mint, mizuna, spring onions or chives
Italian: rocket (wild or large leaf), cos, basil, oregano, thyme, radicchio
French: witlof, chervil, parsley, dill, marche rosettes,
Classic butter, mignonette, iceberg, mixed leaves, cabbage, sprouts – mung beans & alfalfa, micro salad – eg mustard or broccoli
Fruit: pear slices, mango, lemon or lime zest, orange or grapefruit segments, avocado.
Vegies: tomatoes (sliced or baby), capsicum (fresh sliced or shaved – red or yellow), cucumber (thinly sliced), carrot or beetroot (grated raw – long & thin), finely sliced baby mushrooms, sugar snap peas, asparagus, shaved fennel, spanish onion.
Nuts and seeds: toasted pine nuts, sesame seeds &/sunflower seeds (toasted in tamari) or cashews, macadamia nuts, etc, toasted coconut.
Cheese: crumbled goats cheese, crumbed marinated fetta, slices of boccinicci, shaved parmesan.
DRESS TO COMPLIMENT
Oils: EV olive, avocado, avocado with lime oil, walnut, sesame.
Vinegars: balsamic, white balsamic, balsamic glaze, juice of lime or lemon or pink grapefruit or orange, raspberry vinegar,
Seasoning: Salt flakes such as Murray River or Maldon + ground black pepper, garlic.
Throw your greens in a large bowl, top with your supercharged goodies and drizzle with some dressing!
Here are a few examples we love:
- Asian style bbq fish or chicken: baby spinach + mint + coriander + mango (summer) + cucumber + lime zest + lime juice + EVOO + S&P.
- BBQ lamb chops or NY steak: mixed baby leaves + avocado + parsley + toasted sunflower & sesame seeds + walnut oil + white balsamic vinegar + S&P.
- Pasta: Cos lettuce + tomato + basil leaves + olives + EVOO + balsamic glaze + shaved parmesan + S&P.
- Savoury tart or omelette: butter lettuce + radicchio + pear + pinenuts + EVOO + chives + raspberry vinegar + S&P
Bon appetit natural beauties! And don’t forget to share your favourite Spring recipes in the comments x