I love skin-healthy, omega 3 rich walnuts and will do anything to eat them daily. I make our fresh almond milk every few days for breakfast (I really do) and always think…I must try it with walnuts. Will walnut milk work? Will it be an opaque white colour?
And work it did a treat. Nut milks – a lactose alternative to ‘inflammatory’ & ‘body acidifying’ but calcium rich dairy are quick to make …if you have the right equipment. Don’t settle for store bought milks unless you need the convenience when you are away from home or just too busy as they contain added vegetables oils, refined sugars and are heat treated for pasteurisation loosing vital heat sensitive beauty nutrients. The two main ingredients in walnut milk are walnuts and filtered water. If you like you can sweeten the mild creamy walnut milk to make it divinely fragrant and caramelly with medjool dates and / or vanilla bean or cinnamon. Unlike dairy & almond milks that are a good source of calcium, walnuts are low in calcium so boost the milk with a spoonful of tahini or if you eat yoghurt – add a few spoonfuls.
Walnuts are a delicious non animal source of omega-3 essential fatty acids which help the body to reduce inflammation. Inflammation of the skin can lead to redness, puffiness and many skin diseases making it especially important to sustain a bright, youthful appearance. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid found in abundance in walnuts and is involved in the production of serotonin. Serotonin promotes positive feelings, washing over your body to create a calm spirit while helping you to smile and relax. Minimise frown lines with walnut milk!! and glow from the inside, out. See our beautifood bite too.
WALNUT MILK RECIPE
125 g (1 cup) walnuts (see notes)
500ml (2 cups ) filtered water
Optional: 2 fresh dates, pitted , &/or
pinch cinnamon or a few drops of pure vanilla extract or paste (or half a pod)
Use a cold pressed juicer
- Add the walnuts to the holding tray. Turn on juicer.
- Drop the nuts thru several at the time as you pour in the water, retain a 1/3rd of the water if you are adding dates.
- Add the pitted dates and remaining water. (you can pour the milk back thru to extract any left over date/ nuts in the sieve)
- Pour into clean glass bottle or jars.
- Add vanilla & / or cinnamon – optional – and shake! I like the taste without it as I love walnuts.
With a Vitamix or high speed blender
Add water and nuts to blender – whiz on high for about a minute til white and creamy. Strain thru muslin cloth. If flavouring do so once poured into the bottle… and shake. If adding dates and flavouring – add strained milk back to blender add dates / spices and whiz til smooth.
Store walnut milk for maximum 4 days in the fridge.
Makes approximately 500ml (2 cups)
NUTRITION (with dates)
Serving Size – 125g
Fat, total 20.1g
– saturated 1.3g
– sugars 4.3g
TIPS AND TRICKS
- You don’t have to soak the walnuts overnight in the fridge before blending. Works fine but it is best to ‘activate’ them to awaken enzymes.
- Use ‘Passata’ jars to store your walnut milk (500ml t0 750ml).
- Blend walnut milk with raw cacao & or banana to make a delicious hot or cold smoothie.
- Substitute walnut milk for regular milk with muesli and quinoa or oat porridge.