As a hero ingredient of spring, pineapples are fabulous for tightening, softening skin and maintaining a gorgeous complexion through the warmer months.
This vibrant fruit is known for its enzyme, bromelain which works wonders for your skin and digestive system to allow your body to absorb nutrients and discard toxins. Read on to find our how to use pineapple to make your skin glow!
We also have here your go to guide on how to choose and cut pineapples + some delicious light recipes to create.
HOW TO CHOOSE PINEAPPLES
Ripe pineapples have a gorgeous, sweet aroma with healthy green leaves. Try to pluck a leaf from the center, if it comes out it is ripe but if it comes out too easy it is over ripe. Once picked, pineapples become juicier but not sweeter. We recommend buying Bethonga Gold pineapples which are Australian grown and naturally sweet. Read more about how to pick and choose pineapples in our beauty food glossary.
HOW TO CUT PINEAPPLES
1. With a sharp knife cut off both the top and bottom of the pineapple, about half an inch from each end.
2. Stand the pineapple upright, carefully cutting downwards to remove the layer of skin. Make sure to only cut a thin layer as this is the sweetest, juiciest part – don’t worry about the round eyes being left on they will be removed later.
3. Cut diagonally into the pineapple – you will see the left over eyes will line up. When cutting, cut on an angle, making two cuts which will allow the strip of eyes to easily fall out.
4. Continue to move around the pineapple, cutting V shapes diagonally until all of the eyes are removed. Once done, you can cut it into smaller pieces either vertically or horizontally and cut out the core if you like.
DELICIOUS RECIPES WITH PINEAPPLE
Here our some of our favourite pineapple recipes. Try the salsa as a side for fresh fish or pre-make a gorgeous cool sorbet for a sunny spring afternoon.
PINEAPPLE SALSA RECIPE
1/2 medium sized pineapple
1/2 cup mint, chopped
2 limes, juiced
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 medium red onion, diced
2 small chillis, finely diced
1. Cut pineapple into strips and brush with olive oil. Grill on medium heat for 2 minutes each side.
2. Cut pineapple strips into cubes and add onion, mint, lime juice, lime zest and chilli and serve.
PINEAPPLE SMOOTHIE RECIPE
2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
1 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 cup ice cubes
mint leaves – optional
1. Place all ingredients into a super blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass an enjoy!
PINEAPPLE SORBET RECIPE
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
1/2 cup coconut milk
Optional: Coconut to sprinkle on top or good squeeze of lime juice and some lime zest
1. Place pineapple pieces and juice into a container and freeze for about 3 hours or until partially frozen.
2. Place in a food processor or blender with coconut milk and blend until smooth.
3. Return the mixture into the freezer for another two hours and then take out when ready to serve. You can keep it in the freezer until its all run out – but trust me it won’t take long!
For more beauty benefits of Pineapple…go to our Beauty Food Glossary.