We’ve made over the humble potato and sweet potato chips so you can feel good knowing they are cooked with healthy fats and packed full of deliciousness.
This ‘no deep fry’ recipe allows you to sit back and relax, knowing that chips can still taste delicious and not inflame your body or skin! And, you can mix and match herbs and spices with flavours you love.
Potatoes are full of Vitamin C! This helps your body to defend against free radicals that cause wrinkles and skin damage. They have also been said to even out skin tone. Potatoes contain a high fibre content which not only aids digestion but also allows your body to absorb as many nutrients as it can.
Turmeric works to sustain a bright, youthful appearance by reducing redness and puffiness. It does this through its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, helping to create an even tone and avoid early ageing skin. Turmeric also contains antibacterial properties which help to reduce acne and clear skin pigmentation. This spice is easy to add and provides tons of gorgeous benefits! Read more about turmeric here.
HEALTHY POTATO AND SWEET POTATO CHIPS RECIPE
30 minutes wo to go. Serves 4
1 large sweet potato (orange / Kumera)
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
generous pinches of salt flakes
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
2. Place sliced potato into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add spices and season sweet potato chips with salt and pepper.
3. Combine well – clean hands* work well for this job, and spread across a baking tray lined with baking paper.
4. Place into oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until sweet potato chips are golden in colour and slightly crunchy.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Needs a serious hot oven to dry out and surface of the potato and make them ‘puff’ up as the starch cooks and lets off steam it gets caught inside!
- Or, finish off under the grill to crisp up edges.
- Eat sweet potato chips immediately or, like baked potatoes they will go soft.
- You can leave the skin on if you like for extra fibre and a rustic look
- Mix up your spices – smokey paprika and oregano are a delicious combination too. As are garlic, rosemary & lemon zest.
- Like a crunchier chip? Place potato slices in a large bowl of ice water about an hour before cooking. This will remove some of the starches and help them crisp up! Before beginning step 2, dry slices with a tea towel and continue.
- Serve sweet potato chips on the side of a main meal or whip together a quick dip with avocado and lemon juice!
* you may want to wear gloves if you use turmeric as it tends to leave everything yellow!!
And don’t forget to beautify your lips with lemon and mint lip nourish!