[RECIPE] Makes 24 (5cm) cookies | 20 mins wo-to-go (Prep 5 mins. Baking 15mins)
I love baking, always have, always will. So does my family! I love how simple it can be for a max feel good factor: 20 out of 10 my little ones says! I am sure you find the same comments in your house. The trick is to achieve this 20/10 with the least amount of effort & time (mixing, moulding, cleaning up) and still stay high on the healthy food chart. Wholesome baked goodies are a low guilt treat for you & your kids.
This recipe is an Amazing Allrounder – one I created from scratch, late sunday afternoon in preparation for the (kids) week ahead.
YOU’LL LOVE IT BECAUSE….
- Chocolate – tick but not too much of the sickly sweet type – just 1/3 cup white choc chips + 1/3 cup of deliciously dark, rich unsweetened cocoa
- Sugar – not much, only 1/3 cup. I used brown because it imparts a little bit of chewiness but you can use panela if you like the more organic ‘raw’ $tyle
- Flours – A mix of wholemeal spelt & gluten free wholemeal buckwheat (the latter gives it shortness – a delicate bite)
- NO nuts – so it works at school in lunch boxes
- Melted butter – because I love the taste & it makes it easy to use but you can use coconut oil or if nuts are permitted an almond or macadamia nut oil.
- One bowl wonder – plus you’ll need a spoon to stir the mix and a few bits to measure things. Don’t forget the baking paper (non toxic!) to save on washup.
- Energy content: Because there are no nuts (which have nearly dble the energy per gram of protein & carbs) & the serve size is small the KJ / Calorie content is acceptable.
1 Cup Wholemeal Spelt flour (organic)
1/2 cup Wholemeal Buckwheat Flour (organic)
1/3 cup brown sugar (or organic Panela)
1/3 cup oats (quick cook – thin style)
1/3 cup rich dark cocoa
1/2 tspn baking powder
1/3 cup white choc chips (or chop up your fave style)
1/3 cup sultanas (organic / SO2 free)
125g butter – melted
Turn oven onto 180C. Line tray with baking paper.
Into a large bowl add the first 6 ingredients. Mix together well – I use a whisk to evenly distribute them.
Stir thru Chocolate chips and sultanas until well coated with flour mix and evenly distributed.
Add melted butter, mix in until dry mix comes together. It will be a bit crumbly but that is fine as it moulds together with a bit of pressure.
Use an ice cream scoop or shaped spoon to make mounds of mix. Leave as is or push down for flatter cookies.
Place on tray. Bake 15mins. Cool on tray.
TIPS & TRICKS
– make lots – they are more-some!
– sub in stuff: swap butter for your fave oil, swap brown sugar for other granulated sugars. I have not used syrups but am sure the science is sound – the mix will simply be a bit sticker.
– you could delete the choc chips altogether or replace with nuts.
– ideal for school lunch boxes because it’s a NUT free recipe