I’m sure many of my natural beauties know that an acidic body is not a healthy body and that being alkaline is the way to go. In fact some experts say disease cannot possibly exist in an alkaline and balanced state. If your insides are quite acidic, your body will seek balance by attempting to borrow the electrolyte minerals – calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium – from the blood, vital organs and bones to buffer or neutralise the acid so it can be safely removed from the body.
So what does it take to reach an alkaline state?
I come from a food science background, so I know exactly what it takes to get the body’s pH levels balanced and healthy. I recommend integrating a higher intake of alkaline-producing foods than acid-producing ones. An alkaline diet is rich in vegetables and fruit, while avoiding an over-consumption of grains, meat and dairy.
Having said that, it’s important to remember that, like everything in life, it’s about balance. It’s okay to eat some acid-forming foods like cheese, peanuts and meat, in fact our bodies need this. And while some foods may taste acidic, they can actually have an alkalising effect on the body. For example, the citric acid in citrus fruit is metabolised to its alkaline form (citrate) making it nice and cleansing for the organs.
Environmental factors come into play as well. Avoid household cleaning products like soap, detergent, air fresheners, glass cleaners and other various cleaning agents that contain high levels of chemicals which are toxic to the body and contribute to acidity.
The same rule applies when it comes to conventional bath and body products that contain not-so-friendly chemicals and toxins in them as well. Because our body absorbs approximately 60% of what goes directly onto your skin, these products can be some of the biggest offenders. Try switching over to more natural and safe products like with my Luk Beautifood Lip Nourish range or the 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented makeup collection.
Our bodies are amazingly fierce when it comes to protecting the pH levels, but it always pays to go the extra mile and consciously nourish and nurture our bodies as we would a small child.
Here are some more quick tips for being in an alkaline state:
- Drink a fresh cold pressed juice every single day.
- Eat a diet full of nutritious (preferably organic) plant-based food like vegetables, fruit, herbs, non gmo soybeans as well as grass-fed animal products.
- Drink the juice of half a lemon squeezed in a glass of warm water (ginger optional) first thing in the morning.
- Steer clear of refined sugar and anything processed.
- Drink quality filtered water.
- Use natural household cleaning agents such as diluted apple cider vinegar.
- Use natural bath and body products.
- Avoid highly stressful situations like the plague if you can.
- Limit toxins by way of excessive alcohol consumption and kick smoking habits to the curb.
Image via Unsplash
What are your tips for being alkaline natural beauties? Leave a comment x